The INSURANCE COMMISSION (IC), is fully committed to complying with the requirements of the Republic Act No. 10173, otherwise known as the Data Privacy Act of 2012. In our effort to respect the right to privacy. It will therefore operate in accordance with the statutory legislation outline within the Data Privacy Act of 2012. When you interact with us, you may share Personal Data with us. Personal Data refers to information that identifies you personally, alone, or in combination with other information available to us (e.g., your name, contact number, e-mail address, IP address, home address, among others). Any decisions for the disclosure, retention or disposal of personal data we receive and process are made in line with the implementing rules and regulations of the Data Privacy Act of 2012 and other relevant government regulations and issuances and will always ensure that the personal data being processed is protected at all times. This Privacy Notice outlines our data privacy principles and practices. We recommend that you read this Privacy Notice to understand how we collect, use, and process your Personal Data.
The policy applies to the processing of personal data in and outside of the Philippines when the data subject is a citizen or resident of the Philippines or when the processing of personal data is being done in the Philippines.
Data subjects refer to all individuals, employees, regardless of rank and employment status, job candidates, customers, clients, policyholders, contractors, suppliers, consultants who are citizens or residents of the Philippines, or when the processing of personal data is being done in the Philippines.
The IC shall always uphold the rights of the data subjects and adhere to the general data privacy principles and lawful processing requirements as mandated in the Act.
By using our website or providing us your Personal Data, you will be treated as having given your permission for our collection, use, and processing of your Personal Data, and you have accepted the policies and practices described in this Privacy Notice.
If you do not allow the collection, use, and processing of your Personal Data, kindly refrain from using our website, and/or contact us for any privacy-related concerns.
We may modify this Privacy Notice at any time. To update yourself of any change in the processing of your Personal Data, please regularly review this Privacy Notice.
Why does Insurance Commission collect and process your Personal Data?
Insurance Commission collects only the Personal Data needed to effectively serve you and carry out its business operations. We may collect, use, and process your Personal Data for the following general purposes:
- to conduct due diligence prior to executing a contract, and to facilitate the fulfillment of the terms of the contract thereafter;
- to respond to your queries, complaints, and requests;
- to provide information about our services;
- to conduct research and analysis to improve customer experience;
- to maintain security; and
- to comply with legal, regulatory, and contractual requirements or obligations.
The use and processing of your Personal Data also depends on your transactions with us.
If you inquire about, or avail yourself of our services, we may collect, use, or process your Personal Data to:
- conduct appropriate credit investigation to assess the risk of transacting with you;
- prepare and execute the necessary contract to cover the transaction;
- update our records and keep your contact details and billing address up-to-date; and
- communicate any advisories, changes, and other information relevant to your contract with us.
- If you are a vendor/supplier, a potential vendor/supplier, or a contractor, we may collect, use, or process your Personal Data to:
- conduct the appropriate due diligence checks;
- evaluate your proposal, including your technical, financial, and operational capacity;
- assess the viability of your proposal and process your accreditation;
- communicate any decision on such proposal; and
- perform any other action as may be necessary to implement the terms and conditions of our contract.
If you want to join our workforce, we may collect, use, or process your Personal Data to:
- evaluate your suitability for employment and, with a written or expressed consent, retain your Personal Data for a maximum of five (5) years for future job opportunities that may be of interest to you;
- communicate with you about your employment application;
- when hired, process your Personal Data as may be necessary for purposes such as, but not limited to, payroll, benefits application, allowances and refunds processing, tax processing, retirement benefits, and other purposes that demand or require processing of your Personal Data (e.g., to execute business transactions directly related and/or incidental to your job, business travels, socials, and so on);
- while employed, evaluate your performance and career development;
- upon separation, process your Personal Data for the exit interview and to prepare your final pay;
- provide assistance to, and account for, employees in case of emergency; and
- perform such other processing or disclosure that may be required in the course of Insurance Commission’s business or under law or regulations.
If you are an Insurance Commission regulated entity, we may use, collect, or process your Personal Data to:
- maintain and update your records with Insurance Commission; and
- comply with legal, regulatory, and contractual requirements or obligations.
If you are a visitor of Insurance Commission or any of our regional branches, we may use, collect, or process your Personal Data to:
- grant access to our premises; and
- maintain the security within our premises.
What Personal Data does Insurance Commission collect?
Personal Data collected may include any of the following, among others:
- Your name;
- Your e-mail;
- Your other contact details;
- Your address;
- Your IP address; and/or
- Any information relevant to the feedback you have provided or the request or transaction you have made.
Further transactions with us may require the processing of your other Personal Data, such as but not limited to the following:
- financial details such as credit history, bank account, credit card, and debit card information;
- sensitive personal information, such as age, nationality, marital status, gender, health, education, and government-issued identification documents; and
- employment history.
How does Insurance Commission collect my Personal Data?
When you access our website and/or communicate/interact with us, Insurance Commission may collect your Personal Data and Non-Personal Data:
- Personal Data sent to us by your web browser
Your web browser may automatically send us Personal Data, which may include your IP address and location, or Non-Personal Data, which may include the pages you access, the operating system you use, and the name and version of your web browser. These are collected to improve your browsing experience. You may want to check your web browser to know more about the Personal Data sent to us by your web browser, and to modify your web browser settings as you see fit.
- Personal Data collected by placing a cookie on your computer
We may also obtain information about you by placing a cookie on your computer. This is typically done to ease navigation through our website. Cookies that may be used are of two kinds — session cookie and persistent cookie. A session cookie is used to place on your computer a computer generated, unique identifier whenever you access our website. It does not identify you personally and expires as soon as you close your web browser. A persistent cookie does not expire when you close your browser, and stays on your computer, unless you delete it.
If you do not wish to receive cookies, you may modify your web browser settings to turn them off or delete them from your computer. If you reject our cookies, however, our website may not function properly.
- Personal Data you knowingly and voluntarily provide
We may also process the Personal Data you knowingly and voluntarily provide when you contact us. The Personal Data you provide will then be used to provide the service you requested. For instance, when you e-mail us a query, necessarily, we will collect your name and e-mail address to respond to you.
Why does Insurance Commission collect and process your Personal Data?
Insurance Commission collects only the Personal Data we need to effectively serve you. We may also use the Personal Data collected for various purposes such as customer service, investor relations, market research, and business development. We may use the Personal Data collected to respond to your queries, to process your requests and applications, to create services that will respond to your needs, and to otherwise carry out our business operations.
Where does Insurance Commission store your Personal Data?
Your Personal Data is controlled by Insurance Commission, a company registered under Philippine laws, whose principal office is at 1071 United Nations Ave, Ermita, Manila, 1000 Metro Manila.
For how long does Insurance Commission retain your Personal Data?
Insurance Commission will retain your Personal Data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice and communicated to you unless a longer period is allowed or required by law.
To whom are your Personal Data disclosed?
Insurance Commission will not disclose your Personal Data to third parties without your consent. It may however share your Personal Data to its other business units. In such cases, your Personal Data will be used in a manner consistent with the purpose for which it was originally collected and to which you consented, and the Data Privacy Act, its Implementing Rules and Regulations, and all relevant regulations and issuances on privacy and data protection.
We may also share your Personal Data with third parties who perform services for us. Under such circumstances, we require our service providers to limit the use of the Personal Data we share with them in a manner consistent with the purpose for which it was originally collected and to which you consented, and the Data Privacy Act, its Implementing Rules and Regulations, and all relevant regulations and issuances on privacy and data protection. Our service providers will not process your Personal Data for any other purpose than what we have agreed with them.
We may also share your Personal Data to unrelated third parties, upon your request, when we are legally required to do so, or when we believe it is necessary to protect and/or defend our rights, property, or safety, and those of other individuals. Nevertheless, we will take all the necessary steps to protect your Personal Data.
Link to other websites
When you use links and leave our website, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Privacy Inquiries, Clarifications And Concerns
Mr. Edwin Cornelius A. Lauz
Data Protection Officer
1071 United Nations Avenue, Ermita, Manila 1000
We will make reasonable efforts to address the concerns of any individual who objects to the use of their personal information.